LINCOLN – At 5 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 12, Secretary of State Bob Evnen transmitted information from the Nebraska voter registration list to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) as requested in their Sept. 8 letter. The request from the DOJ asked for information contained in the publicly available voter registration list in addition to data fields containing the last four digits of social security numbers or driver’s license numbers, and exact dates of birth. The data transmitted included eligible voters as of Feb. 12, 2026, and 1,254,333 total eligible voters were included in the file.
"State and county election officials remain in control of Nebraska's voter registration list and will continue to maintain the robust systems that have in place to ensure safe and secure elections, as we always have,” said Secretary Evnen.
Only the following fields were included in the data transfer: County Unique voter number Voter registration status Full name Full residential address Full date of birth Last four digits of social security numbers (if verified; appr ox. 99% of Nebraska voters) OR driver’s license/state ID numbers (only if SSN was not
verified; approx. 0.5% of Nebraska voters) The DOJ did not request party affiliation, voter history, maiden names, places of birth or contact information and that data was not included in the data transfer.
“For the vast majority of registered voters in Nebraska, we have the last four digits of their social security number, so that is what was sent, not the full nine-digit number. The federal government issues and already knows social security numbers as well as the birthdate associated with that number,” said Secretary Evnen.
On Sept. 8, 2025, the USDOJ requested a copy of Nebraska’s statewide voter registration list to assess Nebraska’s compliance with federal list maintenance requirements. A lawsuit was filed in late September seeking to prevent the disclosure of the information to the DOJ.
In December last year, Secretary Evnen stated that he would provide the list to the DOJ on Feb. 12 unless there was an order from the court to the contrary. The case was dismissed by the court on Feb. 6. The plaintiffs filed an appeal on Feb. 9 with a new motion for a court order to prevent the disclosure of the information during the appeal. That motion was denied by Nebraska’s Supreme Court on Feb. 11.






